Monday, December 13, 2010

Gingerbread Advent Calendar

If you need an excuse to eat a gingerbread biscuit every day of December, then you need a GINGERBREAD ADVENT CALENDAR!


We had so much fun making these- yes there is a lot to make, but that means there is a lot to eat :)
I simply cut out number chapes from the mixture and baked them, then when they first came out of the oven I made a small hole at the top of each one with the blunt end of a skewar.


I then strung them up along the Christmas garland that I have hanging from the fireplace and thats it!


We have one each day which is much more fun when you reach double didgits as there is a biscuit for each of the kids :)

Here is the recipe...
Ingredients:

340g (12 oz) flour
115g (4 oz) butter
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1 beaten egg
4 tablespoons of golden syrup
175g (6 oz) soft brown sugar (I use dark brown sugar here)
Method:
Melt butter, sugar and golden syrup over low heat.
Sift the flour, ginger and bicarb soda into a bowl. Add the syrup mixture and the beaten egg.
Mix everything together and then knead it into a ball.
Chill the dough in a plastic bag in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven at 190c / 375f / Gas mark 5.
Grease baking trays (I just use baking paper).
Sprinkle flour on bench top and rolling pin and roll out dough to a thickness of 1/2 cm (1/4 inch).
Cut out shapes and place on a baking tray. Decorate with currants and then bake for 10-15 mins until they are golden brown. Lift them onto a wire rack to cool.

ENJOY!

Rebecca ox




4 comments:

  1. I luuurve that! But with my kid those would last only one day over the fireplace like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they are high up Bec....I would have problems, I have already raided our chocolate one a couple of times, luckily I can replace those.

    This looks spectacular- and your mantle is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smashing idea Beck!!

    My question: who gets to eat the biccie each day?

    ReplyDelete